Despite all the bumps along the way, cryptocurrencies have been steadily on the rise in popularity globally – and for all good reasons too!
As a result, an increasingly large number of first-time investors are flocking into the crypto-space and are always on the lookout for the best cryptocurrency trading apps and platforms that stand out in the market. To help you decide which one is best for you; we’ve compiled this handy list of the top crypto trading apps available in 2021.
Why are Cryptocurrency Trading Apps Useful?
Mobile apps are particularly handy for day trading bitcoin and other cryptocurrencies because they enable you to track the market in real-time and go about your trading activities round the clock, without having to sit in front of your computer all day long.
The ability to take instant decisions regardless of your physical whereabouts is a key necessity as cryptocurrencies can be highly volatile with frequent wild price fluctuations. Below, you’ll learn about some of the best trading apps that have over the years established a good reputation with cryptocurrency traders all over the world (in no particular order).
7 Leading Cryptocurrency Trading Apps:
Best for Beginners: Stormgain
Stormgain is a simple yet robust platform that offers many cryptocurrency pairings and has the ability for users to make purchases with a credit card. It offers charts with a wide variety of tools and indicators, and customers can apply for margin accounts which let them trade with up to 100x leverage on certain pairings. Note that most trading pairs are matched with Tether, though some use Bitcoin.
Pros of Stormgain App:
- Quick and easy registration that only takes 5 seconds.
- You can practise on a free demo account for no-risk trading.
- Lowest commissions on the market.
- Price alerts and signals.
Cons of Stormgain App:
- Allows cryptocurrency deposits but does not allow fiat deposits.
Best Overall: Coinbase
Coinbase, one of the largest cryptocurrency exchanges around, offers a feature-packed trading app that you can connect directly with a bank account. The app supports numerous payment methods for buying and trading cryptocurrencies. These include SEPA transfer, debit and credit card payments, Interac Online, and more.
Coinbase trading app is supported in nearly three dozen countries around the world and it supports a slew of leading cryptocurrencies including (but not limited to) BTC, ETH, ETC, BCH, LTC, BAT, ZRX, ZEC, and USDC.
There are several advanced tools in the app to guide you in your pursuit to build a profitable portfolio. These include auto-buying, instant price alert, insured BTC deposits, and so on.
As of this writing, Coinbase’s cryptocurrency trading app supports purchases from as little as $2.
Pros of Coinbase App
- Supports instant buy of digital assets with the credit card as a backup.
- Allows users to go for insured Bitcoin deposits
- Supports almost all major cryptocurrencies.
- One of the best platforms in terms of liquidity
- Established brand
Cons of Coinbase App
- Customer service leaves a lot to desire (although it’s somewhat subjective depending on users’ individual experience).
- Coinbase may monitor your BTC spending habits.
Best for Casual Traders: Robinhood
Robinhood, the app that touts itself as a trading platform for millennials, rolled out cryptocurrency trading services in Q2 2019. As anticipated, the digital assets-section of the app became quite popular among young do-it-yourself investors shortly after launch.
One of the underlying reasons behind the app’s popularity among young and first-time-investors is its zero-fee structure. Robinhood allows $0 trades, meaning users can trade cryptocurrencies, stocks, ETFs, and options without requiring to pay any commission whatsoever.
Of course, there’s always some tradeoff to anything that comes for free, Robinhood being no exception to it. Unlike all the other cryptocurrency trading apps you’ll find later in this article, Robinhood doesn’t come equipped with a full-service online trading platform.
It only provides the core basics with some extra features/services. It’s good enough for first-time and DIY investors, but not quite as feature-rich as most pros like their apps to be.
Pros of Robinhood App
- An easy-to-use interface that doesn’t challenge first-timers.
- It doesn’t require a minimum account balance.
- Zero commission.
- Makes cryptocurrency trading easy for casual traders.
- Supports stock, options, and ETF trading.
Cons of Robinhood App
- Limited features only.
- It doesn’t offer research reports.
- Some features are only available only for premium users.
Best Customer Support: Kucoin
Kucoin is another leading cryptocurrency exchange with a global footprint and an established brand name. You can easily buy your favourite cryptocurrency on the platform using a credit card. With an easily manageable UI and navigation, Kucoin goes easy on even first-time users with no prior experience of handling a cryptocurrency trading app.
The app offers real-time market analysis modes with real-time price warning, as well as insightful candlestick charts to help manage your portfolio.
Just like Coinbase, Kucoin also promises a robust security feature and backs that promise with a multi-layer safety mechanism encompassing instant login alert, 2FA, anti-phishing safety phrase, and so on.
As for customer support, Kucoin offers 24×7 assistance and is generally perceived to have a comparatively better support service than most of its peers.
Pros of Kucoin App
- Supports almost all major cryptocurrencies.
- Over 450 trading pairs makes to give you plenty of options.
- Quality analytics and real-time price alerts.
- Comparatively low trading fees.
- Decent liquidity and trading volume.
- A neat track record in terms of security.
Cons of Kucoin App
- No offline wallet.
- Live chat support is not up to the mark.
- Fiat currency deposits and withdrawals not supported.
Best for Altcoins: Binance
As one of the largest cryptocurrency exchanges around by trading volume, Binance hardly needs any introduction. The brand name speaks for itself. The Malta-based trading platform is available as both Android and iOS apps. In addition to Bitcoin and the company’s homegrown coin, Binance Coin (BNB), the app supports a host of altcoins including pretty much all the major ones.
Live charting, alert, and trading tools make sure you’re constantly kept in the loop about the market and more specifically, the overall health of your portfolio.
Pros of Binance App
- Supports an exhaustive list of cryptocurrencies.
- Supports crypto futures trading and margin trading, albeit with limited availability.
- Offers an array of wallet options.
- Supports anonymous accounts with a comparatively hefty limit.
- Relatively stable app experience.
Cons of Binance App
- Customer support is often slow, presumably due to high traffic.
- Limited deposit options.
Best for Security: Gemini
Co-founded by the Winklevoss twins, Gemini started its journey as leading cryptocurrency exchange in 2015. The accompanying Gemini App has slowly crept its way up among the most popular choices among cryptocurrency traders.
Comparatively speaking, there’s a lot going in favour of Gemini. Apart from the brand name, it is also a fully regulated exchange, which further adds to its trust factor. It was also the first US-based cryptocurrency exchange that offered crypto-to-crypto and USD-to-USD trading.
The Gemini trading app is an upgrade from the company’s mobile wallet, which used to be the only way for users to buy and sell digital assets before 2018. The app is way faster, has a much more user-friendly design, and enables users to deposit fiat to buy and trade supported coins at the touch of a finger.
Pros of Gemini App
- Frequent discounts and payback offers on high-volume trades.
- Supports recurring buy orders.
- Robust security including 2FA using AUTHY.
- Fully regulated by the New York State Department of Financial Services.
Cons of Gemini App
- Because of the mandatory regulatory compliance, registering on the platform can be a little hectic.
- Limited funding methods.
- Not as many trading pairs as many of its peers.
Best for Ease of Use: XCOEX
XCOEX was founded in 2017 by an international team of experts whose main focus was to provide the best accessibility for both crypto enthusiasts and beginners.
XCOEX is a fully regulated exchange based in the UK with a crypto license from Estonia.
One of XCOEX’s main pros is the ease of signing up, which is almost instant. Additionally, the interface is fast, and very intuitive – making it a good choice for beginners.
Pros of XCOEX App:
- Simple App to use with an interface available in multiple languages.
- Major cryptocurrencies available (BTC, ETH, XRP, LTC, BCH).
- Both an exchange and a safe blockchain wallet.
- 24/7 support.
In conclusion, rewarding as it may be, you can not do away with the risks emanating from the highly volatile nature of cryptocurrencies should you decide to actively start trading in the cryptocurrency market. So BeInCrypto recommends that you always carefully assess the risk factors and consult a professional financial expert if need be.
Frequently asked questions
What are crypto trading apps?
How do crypto trading apps work?
Are crypto trading apps safe?
In line with the Trust Project guidelines, the educational content on this website is offered in good faith and for general information purposes only. BeInCrypto prioritizes providing high-quality information, taking the time to research and create informative content for readers. While partners may reward the company with commissions for placements in articles, these commissions do not influence the unbiased, honest, and helpful content creation process. Any action taken by the reader based on this information is strictly at their own risk.