The European Economic and Social Committee (EESC) has put out a new report both praising distributed ledger technologyDistributed Ledger Technology or DLT is an electronic system or database for recording information that is not run by one... More and also worrying about its unintended consequences. The leading EU advisory board seems to be in agreement that cryptocurrencies will have an unprecedented impact in all aspects of social life.
The EESC has put out a major report on cryptocurrencies, reaffirming its importance while also being cautious in how to best proceed.
A ‘Paradigm Shift’ Which Demands Caution
As EESC member Giuseppe Guerini told reporters, the paradigm-shift with blockchain technology cannot be understated. “We can draw parallels with the invention of the printing press,” he said. At first “people had equated the printing press with the means capable of printing only Bibles,” but we now see how the “printing technology revolutionized life in Europe.” This is the potential blockchain technology has, Guerini argues.
However, given how strong the expected impact of this technology will be, the EESC cautions against ignoring the many unintended consequences. As with any paradigm-shifting technology, there is always the potential for civil strife. One of the main issues lies with this technology is it becoming centralized in the hands of a few players, or being exploited by major conglomerates at the expense of the population at large.
“We don’t want to see a digital divide that creates more inequality and injustice. We don’t want to see a new elite emerging, of people who are familiar with the new technologies and end up excluding others from the economy and the market,” the report reads.
Assessing Blockchain’s Impact
The EESC has drawn up a list of potential areas where blockchain’s impact will be most felt.
- Transparent fundraising for NGOs and other international organizations. This will ensure money is spent on what’s intended.
- Improving governance by making votingCan blockchain be used for Voting? Across the globe, decisions made about many of societies issues are decided upon by... More and participation more secure, from the local level all the way to federal elections.
- Authentication to prove identities and collaborations between different associations, organizations, and cooperatives.
- Validate certificates to prevent forgeries, be it in education or any other trade.
- Intellectual property rights will be easier to manage on a distributed ledgerBlockchain is a digital ledger that’s used for storing data on several servers across the world in a decentralized, trustless... More system, allowing for digital content to be easily transferrable.
- Improve healthcare with secure patient information, e-care systems, and other automated functions which can cut back on bureaucracy thus allowing patients to receive care faster.
- Tracking agricultural products is a major use-case for blockchain technology, allowing the supply-side of our global economy to be more accounted for.
The list goes on, and it’s clear that the EESC sees unprecedented potential in blockchain technology. The EESC thus demands, in conclusion to its report, that the European Union take coordinated action to best implement DLT technology irrespective of national borders.
Do you agree with the EESC that blockchain technology could have as much impact as the printing press did centuries ago? Let us know your thoughts below.
Do you want to Be In Crypto?Join our Telegram Trading Group for FREE Trading Signals,a FREE Trading Course for Beginners and Advanced Tradersand a lot of fun!
Images courtesy of Shutterstock, Trading View and Twitter.
Disclaimer. Read MoreRead Less
As a leading organization in blockchain and fintech news, BeInCrypto always makes every effort to adhere to a strict set of editorial policies and practice the highest level of journalistic standards. That being said, we always encourage and urge readers to conduct their own research in relation to any claims made in this article.
This article is intended as news or presented for informational purposes only. The topic of the article and information provided could potentially impact the value of a digital asset or cryptocurrency but is never intended to do so. Likewise, the content of the article and information provided within is not intended to, and does not, present sufficient information for the purposes of making a financial decision or investment. This article is explicitly not intended to be financial advice, is not financial advice, and should not be construed as financial advice. The content and information provided in this article were not prepared by a certified financial professional. All readers should always conduct their own due diligence with a certified financial professional before making any investment decisions.
The author of this article may, at the time of its writing, hold any amount of Bitcoin, cryptocurrency, other digital currency, or financial instruments — including but not limited to any that appear in the contents of this article.